Edition: Limited Edition Red
Publisher: Sacred Bones
Details: "Rob wanted the world of The Northman to feel harsh and uncomfortable, and for everything to feel like it was caked in mud and dry blood, so it was crucial for the score to mirror that." Composers Robin Carolan (Tri-Angle Records) and Sebastian Gainsborough (Vessel) were given a task of epic proportions when director Rob Eggers (The VVitch, The Lighthouse) asked them to create the score for his ambitious and highly anticipated new film The Northman, releasing on April 22nd. They needed to make a score that both honored the immense research that had gone into the authenticity of this Viking era period piece and complimented the cinematic maximalism of the film for a modern audience. The artists stretched themselves to the depths of their creativity and the resulting album is a gorgeous sonic tableaux that places the listener right in the center of the film. While arranging the score the composers consulted musician and ethnographer Poul Høxbro for inspiration and insight into the history of Viking music. Having backgrounds in left field electronic music, Robin and Sebastian felt liberated by the constraint of using a small selection of musical tools for this piece. "Electronic music has almost limitless potential when it comes to making sounds and that's obviously an incredible thing, but you can also go down the wormhole and get lost in it sometimes. There's no risk of that happening when you only have a few primary instruments to draw upon." Robin remarked. They utilized traditional instruments such as the tagelharpa, langspil, kravik lyre, and säckpip to build the cinematic world of The Northman but they also took creative freedoms in adding instruments likes drums, which some academics believe wouldn't have played a big part in Viking musical culture, simply due to the lack of archaeological evidence of actual drums. "One of the pieces we wrote was intended to emulate the sound of a bullroarer; an ancient instrument used in sacred rituals or in battle to intimidate enemies. It makes a really disorienting roaring vibrato sound and low frequencies capable of traveling insane distances." Robin says when asked about one of the more unique aspects of the score. Everyone involved put so much effort into both their research and their creativity and this richness is evident in every track. The album as a whole is a cinematic masterpiece of sound and ambiance, both gorgeous and disturbing, like the film it so beautifully accompanies.
- Shipping times are estimates, and transit times may vary. While we usually ship within one business day, please allow us up to 2 business days handling time for each shipment.
- Shipping charges on all premium shipping options (non-media mail) are non-refundable.
- Flat-rate media mail shipping is intended for individual consumers and not bulk purchasing. We reserve the right to request additional payments for bulk purchases using our flat-rate shipping service.
- If you would like your pre-orders and in-stock items shipped separately, please order them separately. Otherwise, we will ship all items in your order when the last title is released!
- Street dates for pre-orders are tentative and are subject to change.
- Every international order includes shipping insurance that covers both the purchase and shipping costs. In the event of a lost or damaged package, we will file an insurance claim on your behalf. If the claim is accepted by the insurance company, we will refund you the amount offered in the claim. If the insurance claim is rejected, no refund will be provided.
- Any duties, taxes and customs fees for international orders are the responsibility of the customer.
Domestic Returns (US Only): We stand by all of our products and offer a refund on all products within 30 days of purchase (excluding products marked as warehouse finds/no returns, bulk orders, or international orders). Returned items must be in the same condition they were sent. Shipping charges on all premium shipping options (non-media mail) are nonrefundable.
International Returns: Due to the cost of international shipping, we do not offer refunds, exchanges or returns on international orders. Every international order includes shipping insurance that covers both the purchase and shipping costs. In the event of a lost, delayed or damaged package, we will file an insurance claim on your behalf. If the claim is accepted by the insurance company, we will refund you the amount offered in the claim. If the insurance claim is rejected, no refund will be provided.
Bulk Order Returns (Purchases including 3 or more of same item): Shipping on bulk orders is nonrefundable. Customers with bulk orders are responsible for all return shipping costs as well as a 15% restocking fee deducted from the refund amount.