Details: We were like Coca Cola, we were the real things."-Albert CanadienBilled as "Canada's All Indian Band," the Tsimshian Nation garage band The Chieftones stormed the U.S. in the mid-'60s with their own brand of native rock n' roll. Led by guitarists Billy Thunderkloud and Albert Canadien, the band was filled out with Jack Wolf on lead guitar, Barry Clifford on bass, and Richard Douse on drums. Their repertoire was a heady mix of guitar instrumentals; Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Duane Eddy, and Brazil's Los Indios Tabajaras, but through the lens of the American sock hop.After a brief stint at Edmonton's Alberta College, The Chieftones hit the road, eventually setting up a home base in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where they reportedly worked as ranch hands in between tours. "From Sheboygan we made our way to Madison, Wisconsin, La Crosse, Cedar Rapids and on over to down south, like that. Indianapolis, Peoria, Illinois, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Indiana back to Chicago," Canadien told Pat Braden. "We had a circuit like that. We played two weeks here, one week there, like that. And finally after a year of doing that, we weren't going anywhere." It was in this nascent state that they tracked a single and an album's worth of material with Jim Kirchstein.More Buddy Holly than Link Wray, The Chieftones lone Cuca single-1966's "Do Lord" b/w "I Shouldn't Have Did What I Done"-expressed the group's radio-friendly ambitions. The rest of their Cuca recordings, however, explore their indigenous roots. Tribal drums keep time under a wash of surf-y guitars. Ceremonial dance numbers are reimagined for the Elvis generation. When the single failed to light up the phones, the album was shelved, discovered only recently by Numero's crack team of magnetic tape sleuths.The New Smooth and Different Sound collects 12 unreleased demos and their sought after Cuca single, all recorded at the Sauk City recording mecca. The group's time in the Dairy State was short-lived-they set off on a decade-long road run shortly after. Performing in their traditional regalia-white buckskin outfits and head gear-The Chieftones dumbed nothing down for The Beach Boys' screaming fans at various sports arenas on the east coast. "After a while we got to speak in our own language, like when we started the show," Canadien said. "I would just speak to them in Slavey and then we'd start our playing. The boys I had talked in Gitsan and Nisgaa, they spoke these languages from northern B.C., that's what they spoke. They introduced themselves in their own language so that people understood that we were for real.
- Don't Let It Bother You
- Don't Dare
- Indian Wedding
- You're My Angel
- I Need Your Lovin'
- I Won't Be Around
- Do Lord
- I Shouldn't Have Did What I Done
- The Sun Is Shining
- Ebony Eyes
- Just A Closer Walk With Thee
- Cutie From the Beauty Shop
- You Don't Need Me Anymore
- Don't You Leave Me Behind
- Shipping times are estimates, and transit times may vary. While we usually ship within one business day, please allow us up to 2 business days handling time for each shipment.
- Shipping charges on all premium shipping options (non-media mail) are non-refundable.
- Flat-rate media mail shipping is intended for individual consumers and not bulk purchasing. We reserve the right to request additional payments for bulk purchases using our flat-rate shipping service.
- If you would like your pre-orders and in-stock items shipped separately, please order them separately. Otherwise, we will ship all items in your order when the last title is released!
- Street dates for pre-orders are tentative and are subject to change.
- Every international order includes shipping insurance that covers both the purchase and shipping costs. In the event of a lost or damaged package, we will file an insurance claim on your behalf. If the claim is accepted by the insurance company, we will refund you the amount offered in the claim. If the insurance claim is rejected, no refund will be provided.
- Any duties, taxes and customs fees for international orders are the responsibility of the customer.
Domestic Returns (US Only): We stand by all of our products and offer a refund on all products within 30 days of purchase (excluding products marked as warehouse finds/no returns, bulk orders, or international orders). Returned items must be in the same condition they were sent. Shipping charges on all premium shipping options (non-media mail) are nonrefundable.
International Returns: Due to the cost of international shipping, we do not offer refunds, exchanges or returns on international orders. Every international order includes shipping insurance that covers both the purchase and shipping costs. In the event of a lost, delayed or damaged package, we will file an insurance claim on your behalf. If the claim is accepted by the insurance company, we will refund you the amount offered in the claim. If the insurance claim is rejected, no refund will be provided.
Bulk Order Returns (Purchases including 3 or more of same item): Shipping on bulk orders is nonrefundable. Customers with bulk orders are responsible for all return shipping costs as well as a 15% restocking fee deducted from the refund amount.